Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The making of a Darth Vader Cake!

Ben had his 5th birthday party couple weeks ago. He is VERY VERY into Star Wars. His favorite is Darth Vader! I am not sure who had more fun, the kids at the party, or Dan and I planning it! I LOVE being able to throw parties for my kids. I was not always sure I would have children to be able to do things like this for. So now that we have three AWESOME kids, I don't take it for granted, and I enjoy every part of it! So Dan said to me, how about making a Darth Vader cake! Now I was straight up honest with him. I said that "I" could not make one, but that I was sure "he" could! My husband has got this way of being able figure out how to do anything and he always does a good job! So I thought I would show you just how he made Ben's cake.





He started with some pipe fastened to a board. He carved the mask part out of rice cereal treats and then stacked the cakes. He made red for the neck and green cake with red and blue marbled in for the veins of the brain!!! We had cooked and frozen the cakes a couple days before the party.

Here he is deep in thought! Carving the top of the head!
Adding the flare of the helmet on the sides!

Let the BLACK icing begin! (I mixed that up... yep opened the pre packaged icing and added the coloring gel... and stirred. I know SO talented!)

Popped out the lenses from dollar store sun glasses for Vader's eyes!

Dan took some little marshmallows, wrapped them in foil, stuck them on a toothpick and made the "bolts" for the mask.


The Cake was a HIT!
And the brains looked pretty awesome too!!!!

I just have to say...

MY HUSBAND IS AN AWESOME DADDY!!






1 comment:

Blessed By Infertility said...

That is awesome!!!! That was a great idea to show the steps on making it! I think the brains look cool too!